Recent Cooking Adventures

As I mentioned, I'm always trying to cook on a budget.  I love cooking when I have the time (not so much though when I'm busy - cereal anyone?) and I definitely have the time right now.  My new year's resolution was to eat out less, and so far I think we've been doing a pretty good job. 

In my new found free time, I've been obsessively scouring all my favorite foodie blogs for new recipes and ideas.  The Food Gawker is a favorite of mine, it shows the most "favorited" foods in the past 24 hours.  Before Christmas it was all super sweet and heavy cakes, cookies, pies, etc.  It made me laugh when I looked today and saw a lot more healthy items had made the cut.  Apparently we all equally indulged this year.

My new favorite discovery is roasted tomatoes.  I'm obsessed.  They're so easy!  Below is a picture of some I made.  I've always liked roasted tomatoes, but didn't know how to do it until now.  I just had to share because it makes such an easy & cheap side dish for all meals (even breakfast - roasted tomatoes with eggs, yum!).  Also, if you line your dish with foil fist, then you can just throw it away and not have any dirty dishes when you're done.


Roasted Tomatoes
Preheat oven to 275
Cut tomatoes in half 
(I've been cutting a sliver off the top and bottom too so that they sit straight)
Place open face up in baking dish
Drizzle with Olive Oil
Sprinkle with salt & pepper
Sprinkle with chopped basil
Bake for 2 hours
For the last 10 minutes top with small sliver of cheese
(recommend: manchego, goat, parmesean, etc.)

Enjoy!

1 comment: