Hummus, Or Something Similiar...


Tahini is sesame seed paste. It looks gross and it tastes exactly like sesame seeds. I found it in the cereal aisle of all places!

So far so good - letting the peas soak over night. Don't they loook gross? Like little toes or something.
The answer is no, it's not supposed to look like that.
*
I tried making my own hummus tonight for the first time. With my new mixer in hand, I blended away and came up with a giant flop. Not quite what I had in mind...
*
So after accidently flinging it all over the kitchen & my husband, and after my best efforts to try to add stuff to make it taste better (like half the bottle of olive oil) - I gave up. I can't get myself to throw it away though, so I may feed it to the street cats tomorrow... if they'll have it :)
*
I've made it one of my new goals to learn how to make good hummus while I'm over here. It's a staple to a lot of the regional meals and tastes much better here than it does in the States (in my opinion). I got the recipe that I tried tonight from my friend's mom, who is Armenian. I don't think it's the recipe's fault though. I think the spices are added mostly by taste, and since I have no idea what I'm doing, I added too much cumin and it tasted gross.
*
I'm not giving up though! I'll let you know how the next batch goes.

3 comments:

  1. Do you have a food processor? If you process all of the ingredients and then add the olive oil while the processor is running to get the right consistency, it should work a little better. Salt also makes a huge difference and a LITTLE chili paste if you can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a recipe too that usually turns out fairly well -- altho, I'm American too ;) and I think you are hoping more for something that mimicks what you have found there - you should try to get a recipe off of the "natives" I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I was trying to make a batch that tastes like the hummus we get here. You'll get to try it soon and see the difference Angie :). I do have a food processor, but somehow in the move I lost the sharp blade that purees things. So I bought an emulsifier and used that instead. I have to say, I wasn't too impressed by the gadget but it's better than nothing I guess. I did have salt, chilli powder and olive oil blended in the recipe. I think the problem was that I added too much cumin and it's such a strong spice that there really wasn't any way to overpower it and fix the batch. I'll just have to try again. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks for all your feedback! I'm not giving up yet.

    ReplyDelete