Dubai!


We went to Dubai for a couple of days before Christmas. It was such a good escape from Kuwait! My husband's family came into town for the holidays and since Kuwait is only sooo exciting, we fit in a quick trip to Dubai. Its only about an hour plane ride down there and we flew Emirates Air. It was one of the nicest planes I've ever been in. The first class seats were, no kidding, in little suites - complete with sliding door, facing seats leather reclining seats, built in speakers and a vanity space with supplies. It was crazy!
*
The hotels in Dubai are like the free zones, they had Christmas decorations galore, and served pork and alcohol. Overall I was really impressed with the cleanliness of the city. It didn't live up to my architectural-fantasy land image that I think was built up in my head from all the crazy buildings I've seen proposed over the past few years. Someone compared it to Sim City, and I think that's the best way to describe it. It looks like someone just dropped all these huge sky scrapers in the middle of the desert. Its kind of cool to have seen it now though while its still developing. I'm sure in a decade it will look completely different.
*
Like Kuwait, though, its still a very mall-based experience. We did Ski Dubai, went up to the Burj, saw the Aquarium, and the dancing fountain (all via a mall). Ski Dubai was cool. I'll try to post some pictures. It was basically one lift up the center with two slopes to either side. One slope was steeper than the the other. In total it took about 10-20 minutes round trip to ride up and then ski/snowboard down. It was cool to do and was definitely a unique experience that you can't get in this part of the world naturally. We only did it for 2 hours though and that was plenty.
*
The Burj was awesome. The elevator honestly was one of the craziest parts. You get into it and it's completely dark and they cram a bunch of people in. Then the doors close and you feel like someone forgot to push the buttom because you can't feel it moving. The walls light up though like Willy Wonka boat ride, so I'd be cautious if you have a fear of confined spaces with strobe lights! I think we went up to about the 140th floor (!). The view was awesome and you could feel it swaying just a little bit. We saw it at night though and had a hard time getting a picture of the city without it being blurry. So that's why I didn't post any.
*
Overall it was really cool to see. Since its so close to Kuwait and there are lots of deals to fly there, I think we'll keep an eye out for any cool concerts coming to town. It'd be a fun weekend trip with friends just as an escape. It definitely made Kuwait look like a sloppy mess though.

No comments:

Post a Comment