Happy (Belated) Thanksgiving!


I had to work on Thanksgiving, so we celebrated yesterday. I'm a little proud of us though. We did potluck, so my husband and I only cooked the turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes, but we made a good turkey! We made our own brine and did a butter rub on it beforehand. Despite the obstacles of grocery shopping here and not having access to all the typical thanksgiving foods, we (thanks to our friends that came and our family that sent supplies) pulled off a pretty convincing all-American Thanksgiving dinner! Complete with Cranberry sauce and Pumpkin Pie!
*
Thank you everyone that sent us care packages with the missing ingredients. We ended up having more than a dessert per person. We had 13 fat and happy people by the end of the night.
*
I did have one slip up, but luckily no one really knew. I made my own stuffing from scratch and it was called Apple-Raisin Stuffing. Sounds good, right? Well I was reading the ingredients and it called for mustard and terragon. Well... The spices you buy here come fresh. They're not the nice little bottles that we know so well. So once you open the spice bag, you have to put it in an other container (sans label) and have to remember what it is (or label your bags I guess, but I'm not that organized). So what I thought was Terragon, and proceeded to add to my stuffing turned out really to be Tumeric. I thought it was weird that the recipe called for that, but followed the instructions anyway.
*
My stuffing was mustard yellow. Luckily I made a second batch and decided to leave out the Tumeric, so no one knew about my failed batch. It was the ugliest looking stuffing you've ever seen! I would have taken a picture of it, but it looked a little like barf so I spared you.
*
I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and avoided any cooking catastrophes!
*
Happy Thanksgiving from Kuwait!

No comments:

Post a Comment