Weekend Activities

In the parking lot where we went shopping there were little gardens of these flowers with swarms of butterflies, it was really cool to see! I've never seen so many and they let us get pretty close to take pictures.



This is where I bought my Dolce sunglasses - high quality purchase, I know :)



One side of the street where we were shopping was run down (that's where the fake purses were, go figure :), the other side was clean and very well maintained. This is a phenomena I see everywere here... a mansion next to a pile of trash. You'd think they wouldn't tolerate it, but they do.

Arabic graffiti

Across the street - See, nice & clean.
*
Its been another busy weekend. We are much more social in Kuwait than we have been anywhere else :) At this point, we're trying to get out as much as possible and not pass up any opportunities. Its helped us feel more adjusted and the country not feel as foreign.
*
We attended an event on Wednesday night in which I got to meet the American ambassador of Kuwait. She was at a 4 way walkway crossing taking a picture and I was at the crossing too, not sure if I should go or stay while they were taking the pictures. I decided to stand off to the side out of the way and just wait. She looked straight at me and told me it was ok to go. I felt like a dope, but its better to get told to go I guess rather than get in trouble for going and getting in the way.
*
Yesterday we went shopping. We went down to an area of town that has a mix between regular shops and a whole bazaar section full of little holes in the wall carrying unique little trinkets and knock off's. We went with a family that frequents the knock off stores, so Jason benefited from their shopping with some free loot. I bought some ornaments and a new pair of sunglasses.
*
Then we ventured out to another shop that's supposed to have great lanterns at an affordable price. There wasn't as much as I was imagining, but I found some cool stuff. I'll post pictures of my purchases later :)
*
I stayed up late the past two nights organizing and unpacking. Our house feels so much better with our stuff in it. Our kitchen is white, silver and black, which seemed very harsh with the fluorescent lighting at first. But now that our stuff is in there, it looks much nicer. There are still boxes everywhere, but I'm working on it every chance I get! I'll be able to make some major headway this week.
*
On a totally different note - here's an article talking about Kuwait's planned attempts to clean up its sewage problem. Honestly I don't see it or have to deal with it ever. Every once in a while you'll go through a smelly patch. The thought of what they're doing though is disgusting. I've never lived this close to the ocean, its a shame they've ruined it! I'm still trying to figure blogger out, so if this link doesn't take you right to the page - there should be a list of articles on the right and its like the 3rd one down. Let me know if you have any problems with it.
www.kuwaittimes.net/read_news.php?newsid=mta0Nte3otu5mq==
*
Everyone have a good rest of your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment