Pool Party






Vanilla Bean




Pool Party
*
I haven't posted in a couple of days, so I'm making up for it with a really long one! The sand storms have finally gotten to me, I've been struggling with sinus issues for a couple of days now. I have allergies, but never have they been as severe as this. I finally took my mother's advice and used the saltwater nose wash though and it seems to be working. :)
*
This weekend was eventful, Saturday especially. We were invited to a barbeque in the dessert by a Kuwaiti couple that we met at a get-to-gether (why everyone wants to barbeque in the dessert is still beyond me! :). We weren't too sure we were going to go, but then it was moved out of the dessert because of the threat of another sandstorm and it was now being thrown at the home of a Sheikh (pronounced like shake), which after asking around we found out meant he was a member of the royal family. Sounds impressive, right? However, keep in mind that the royal family is huge. The Emir has many many wives and so do the other members of his family. There are probably thousands of Sheikhs in the city, but we were curious just the same.
*
It turned out to be pretty interesting. There was a really wide variety of people and food. The house was impressive from the outside, but what I was most impressed with was the two very large lots next to it that were dedicated to gardens. The Sheikh and his wife had a whole team of gardeners that maintainted two large (mansion size) green houses and animals.
*
His wife gave us a tour and as we walked she pointed to every version of almost every tropical plant that I've heard of and some that I had not. There was everything from bananas, mango's, cacti, vanilla, grapes, tangerines, beans, pomegranate, tons of palm trees, more types of apples than I've ever heard of, plus more! I've never seen a collection of plants like this, even at the nicest nurseries. I finally asked her what she didn't have and she said that the starfruit hadn't taken :) I guess they have homes with equally as emaculate gardens in other areas of the world as well.
*
The animals were fun too! The friends that Jason and I went with brought their kids so I enjoyed hanging out with them and the animals. There were big bunnies, tropical birds, turkeys, doves, deer, and tons of cats. The family had 17 cats plus several strays from the neighborhood that made her land home. We tried to hold the bunnies, but left the room from fear of being pooped on by the tropical birds that were sharing the cage with them. We talked with the white turkey (who knew there were white turkeys!?) that would gobble back to you. We didn't get to see the 17 cats that were being kept inside, but played with the strays.
*
It was a definitely unique experience that gets added to the "Only in Kuwait" list :)

3 comments:

  1. So a "pool" party is a little bit different over there too...they fill them with people instead of water?!
    I know...it's still winter over there too. Bit chilly yet for swimming.
    Glad they didn't mind you taking pictures. Amazing gardens, giving you any ideas about what you can container grow on your balconies?
    Thanks for sharing, Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so fascinating, obviously no threat of being bit or getting a disease? I saw all the bunnies before I read the blog, neat. I like the line..........only in Kuwait! What an experience you are having.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great pics Whitney - and yes, very UNIQUE experiences! thank you for continuing to share!

    ReplyDelete