Holiday



Thursday and Friday of this week are Kuwait's National Day and Liberation Day. Liberation Day celebrates Kuwait's freedom from Iraqi control during the Persian Gulf War. The holidays are very important to Kuwait and are highly celebrated. There are flags everywhere and there will be festivities all over town this weekend.
*
From what we're told, the celebrating can get out of control, so its best to lay low. That's what we'll be doing most of the weekend. Because of the holiday, today is the last day of the work week here for most.
*
Today is also the first dust storm we've been here for. I haven't driven yet today, so I don't know how the weather is affecting visibility on the roads, but it just feels windy and dusty outside. It feels a little cooler too because the sun is hidden. I have some experience with dust storms from being in college at Texas Tech in Lubbock, Texas where we had dust storms all the time. The wind here (today anyways) seems actually tamer than when we had dust storms in Lubbock. You can see how dusty it is in the background of my photos. The pictures are of the flags we hung on our balcony to celebrate the holiday.
*
Everyone have a good weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I'm straining my eyes to see the relief on the next building...looks cool. I've seen a lot of this in your pictures...want to see more! Would be a cool needle work piece.
    And you thought you'd left Lubbock dust behind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see pictures of the inside of your place! I have no concept of what the layout might be like but the woman's room sounds cool :) I think I need one of those with my own bathroom!

    Love the pics...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second that! Lets see pics of your place! EVEN IF it is covered in boxes still!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, its actually empty! None of our stuff is here yet. I'll email pictures to you :) And then I'll have to re-send them when our stuff gets here and it actually starts looking like our home.

    ReplyDelete